PLAB versus USMLE

• 10 Nov '20

These are two most popular examinations for foreign medical students and medical doctors who want to practice abroad, I presume. If I may ask, which one do you prefer and why?

Rahola007
Olamide Raheem
  • 10 Nov '20

Plan, I prefer

• 10 Nov '20

@Rahola007, PLAB! Why? Can we hear you opinion on this?

• 10 Nov '20

@medsjoinadmin, well I will say I prefer USMLE may because I like US more and also because expenses required to leave in U.K seems more than that of U.S.

But because of financial constraints, I will rather go with plab since it has only two steps and less expensive. If I still want to go to US, I can do that after I'd gathered enough money in the U.K. My opinion

R
Rebecca
Akisanmi Taiwo
  • 10 Nov '20

I prefer PLAB...for 2 reasons tho

1. Its not as expensive as USMLE
  2. It is not as difficult as USMLE (so they said oo) and me i am a lazy reader...
  • 13 Nov '20

@Aquilapriscilla, is there any reason why you preferred USMLE? Let's know, we can learn from you as to take decision on which to write when time comes😄

A
  • 13 Nov '20

@OjoPhilip said:
@Aquilapriscilla, is there any reason why you preferred USMLE? Let's know, we can learn from you as to take decision on which to write when time comes😄
Haha
I feel USMLE is straight forward, In the UK you have to do foundation year 1, foundation year 2
and there are a lot testimonies e.g Ademola Adesanya

• 13 Nov '20

@Aquilapriscilla said:
Haha
I feel USMLE is straight forward, In the UK you have to do foundation year 1, foundation year 2

Yeah, I agree with the fact that after USMLE exam, you just start your residency straight without having to write further exams but for it isn't that way!

What about his testimony? Is it about USMLE or PLAB? Can you tell me more about that?

Rahola007
Olamide Raheem
  • 13 Nov '20

I am learning, please go ahead

Rahola007
Olamide Raheem
  • 13 Nov '20

When I did check up on plab, I wasn't informed about the other exams following passing plab 2, this is instructive to learn here

• 13 Nov '20

@Rahola007 said:
When I did check up on plab, I wasn't informed about the other exams following passing plab 2, this is instructive to learn here

PLAB is taken if you want to practice in the U.K, it is not for residency per se. There are other processes one will have to go through if you want to do your residency there. I may be wrong though, I believe someone on this platform can shed more light on that.

E
EhisAigbonoga
Oppor Tunities
  • 13 Nov '20

Personally I prefer USMLE. But the truth is that it is more difficult and expensive. Step one requires that you know basic medical sciences which many medical students don't really remember after medical school. Many doctors prefer to go after Plab because it is not as demanding as the USMLE

Rahola007
Olamide Raheem
  • 13 Nov '20

So, what's the plab about then, anyone... I also want to know about residency in the UK.

I shall Google and digest some information which I will bring here but those with solid info should please share

A
  • 13 Nov '20

@OjoPhilip said:

@Aquilapriscilla said:
Haha

Yeah, I agree with the fact that after USMLE exam, you just start your residency straight without having to write further exams but for it isn't that way!

What about his testimony? Is it about USMLE or PLAB? Can you tell me more about that?
It's on the USMLE, he is a graduate of UI 2007/2008
he started residency in UCH then left and started MPH in the US,he was running his MPH and preparing for his Step 1 at the same time.... The Man has accolades oh.

• 14 Nov '20

@Aquilapriscilla said:

he started residency in UCH then left and started MPH in the US,he was running his MPH and preparing for his Step 1 at the same time.... The Man has accolades oh.

Wow! That's great. But I will like to know what process he went through inorder to start MPH in the US, did he write any exam or on what basis? Can you pls give more enlightenment☺

A
  • 15 Nov '20

@OjoPhilip said:

@Aquilapriscilla said:

Wow! That's great. But I will like to know what process he went through inorder to start MPH in the US, did he write any exam or on what basis? Can you pls give more enlightenment☺

Ahn Ahn
This one is straight forward na
Just apply to the school of choice, send your transcripts, have your international passport, get visa, and if you are lucky you get scholarship.
Some schools might require TOFEL and GRE

watch this interesting video

• 15 Nov '20

@Aquilapriscilla said:
Ahn Ahn
This one is straight forward na
Just apply to the school of choice, send your transcripts, have your international passport, get visa, and if you are lucky you get scholarship.
Some schools might require TOFEL and GRE

watch this interesting video

Wow! Thanks for this, I hope this will not only help me but others that will visit this forum also.

medsjoinadmin's comment was removed 3 months, 2 weeks ago